How do I deregister and begin Home Educating?

Hi there!

You are legally allowed to home educate your children in the UK.

As the parent, you have legal responsibility for the education of your children.

If your child currently attends school, then you will need to deregister them.

Please always check local information and law, specific to your country of residence.


In England and Wales, you must send a deregistration letter to your child’s school.

You can then remove your child immediately.

If your child has never had a place at a school then you do not need to notify anyone.

You are now responsible for your child’s education

Get in touch with your local Home Educating groups.

Research different styles of home education.

Involve your young person in the process.

If you have deregistered, expect contact from your Local Authority: Elective Home Educating Team.

Recommended reading: EHE Guidance for Parents

From the blog

New posts in your inbox

About Me

My name is Heidi and I have been Unschooling since 2012 when my eldest officially became Compulsory School Age. I have four children who have never been to school, never taken an academic test, or pop quiz, and are happy living and learning as they go Read more

Let’s connect

%d bloggers like this: